Early Years Autism Training
What: Supporting Children with Autism & Social Communication Needs
Date: Thursday 10th October 2019
Time: 9.15 a.m. – 2.30 p.m.
Location: Wodson Park Sports and Leisure Centre, Wadesmill Road, Ware, SG12 0UQ
Who for: EY Teachers, SENCOs/INCOs, Managers/Senior Leaders, Early Years Practitioners, Nursery Nurses, Teaching/Learning Assistants
Please note you work in DSPL3 and that bookings are through Charlotte Osborne via email: CommunicationandAutismTeamISL@hertfordshire.gov.uk
There are further courses scheduled for the rest of the year and 2019/20, dates are as follows:
- 26th November 2019 Bookings open 11th October, please do not attempt to apply for the course before that date as your application will be ignored.
- 28th January 2020 Bookings open 27th November, please do not attempt to apply for the course before that date as your application will be ignored.
- 12th March 2020 – aimed at managers and SENCOs Bookings open 29th January 2020, please do not attempt to apply for the course before that date as your application will be ignored.
- 5th May 2020 Bookings open 13th march 2020, please do not attempt to apply for the course before that date as your application will be ignored.
- 25th June 2020 Bookings open 6th May 2020 please do not attempt to apply for the course before that date as your application will be ignored.
Early Years STEPS Training
We are working in partnership with the ISL Early Years SEND team to run some Early Years STEPS training at Wodson Park on Wednesday 25th September.
The Early Years Hertfordshire Steps delivery model has changed and now, rather than delivering to whole settings, the Early Years SEND Team is delivering the training to managers and SENCOs who will be responsible for implementing the STEPS approach in their setting. Both the manager and the SENCO must attend the training together. Hertfordshire STEPS is a positive approach to behaviour management, it is the preferred approach of the local authority.
There is a cost of £15 per person for the initial course and £10 per person for the annual refresher. You will receive an invoice via the Early Years Team.
Date: Wednesday 25th September
Time: 9.30 a.m. – 4.00 p.m. Please arrive from 9.00 a.m. when tea/coffee will be available. Lunch is provided.
Venue: Wodson Park, Wadesmill Road, Ware, SG12 0UQ
Places will be allocated on a ‘first come, first served’ basis. No confirmation email will be sent, please note that if you submit an online application your place is confirmed.
Settings already signed up to attend are: Aston Preschool, Bengeo Playgroup, Busy Lizzies Preschool, Flying Start Montessori, High Wych Pre-school Nursery, Layston Preschool and Nursery CIC, Little ladybirds, Morgans playgroup, Pelhams Preschool, Riverside Nursery School,St Joseph’s Playgroup
Pressing the Pause Button training for parents
As part of our Using Mindfulness to promote Self Regulation project we are providing Pressing the Pause Button training for parents.
‘Using Mindfulness to Promote Self Regulation’ Jan 2018 – July 2019 – THIS PROJECT IS NOW FULL
Wednesday 24th January 2018: morning training session
Wednesday 7th February 2018 : morning training session
April 2018: 2 hour network meeting date tbc
June 2018: 2 hour network meeting date tbc
Autumn Term 2018: 2 hour network meeting date tbc
Spring Term 2019: 2 hour network meeting date tbc
Summer 2019: Showcase Conference date tbc
This project will be fully funded by DSPL3 and each participating setting will receive resources to support the project.
The following will be expected of the settings:
- 2 members of staff to attend the training sessions in January and February
- At least 1 member of staff to attend the regular network meetings
- At least 1 member of staff to attend the Showcase Conference in June 2019
- Baseline and post project data to be submitted to DSPL3 Manager – participants will be told more about this at the Feb training
- A case study to be submitted December 2018 (this should take no more than 15 minutes to complete)
- Be willing for Kerry Scripps, DSPL3 Manager to visit the setting to see Mindfulness in action.
The following settings are taking part in the project:
Angels At Play, Angels at Play Sucklings Yard, Bengeo Playgroup, Blues Pre-school Nursery, Bobtails Playgroup, Buntings Nursery, Flying Start Montessori Pre School, Furneux Pelham School, Hertford Heath Pre School, Hollybush Pre School, Layston Pre School and Nursery, Mandeville Primary School, Mill Mead Primary School, Riverside Nursery School , Roger de Clare C. of E. First School and Nursery, St Andrew’s CofE VC Primary School (SA), The Meads, The Pines Pre School, Watton-at-Stone Primary and Nursery School and Westmill Nursery
WellComm Speech and Language Screening Project
Our WellComm project has been very successful, with 100 settings trained and using it. Ideal as an initial screening tool, the WellComm Toolkit provides a complete speech and language toolkit that can be used by all Early Years practitioners. With 1 in 10 children under 5 years of age experiencing some degree of difficulty in learning language and communication skills, early identification is crucial. To help achieve this, WellComm Toolkit’s clear and easy-to-use record forms enable the screening process to be carried out quickly and efficiently.
Whilst we are no longer funding for new settings to start using WellComm, we are still providing free training each term in recognition of the fact that staff who were WellComm trained in schools and settings may well have left and need new staff trained.
‘Promoting Positive Mental Health in Early Years’ training delivered by YoungMinds. PAST EVENT
This course will examine what practitioners in early years settings can do to promote positive mental health and how they can help parents and carers to establish the psychological bedrock that will support children as they grow and develop
The training was held from 10.00 a.m. – 4.00 p.m. on Monday 14th November at Wodson Park in Ware. Lunch is provided.